Impact Investing Education Series – Program Overview
The NW Social Venture Fund’s Impact Investing Education Series is designed for university students, investors / philanthropists, and general professionals to explore intellectual frameworks around social impact capital, and to receive hands-on training in critiquing & evaluating impact ventures.
Participants in the IIES program, gain:
- Confidence and knowledge in the impact investing space
- A personal assessment of one’s skills, interests, time, and resources and how to direct these toward impact
- Connection to high quality peers and exposure to a variety of organizations (for-profit, nonprofit, and social venture) doing innovative things for social benefit
- A firehose of peer learning, via video, discussion, reading, and actively engaging in tackling personal goals in Household Finance, Volunteerism, Education, Work/Life Balance, and Giving/Lending/Donating.
- Increased personal skills in financial analytic skills (tracking impact and business metrics, evaluating an organization’s financial and mission capacity, assessing investment offers for stage/deal terms/fit)
• Six weekly learning sessions to review the fundamentals of finance + impact, including Philanthrocapitalism, the Business Model of Social VC, Intro to Angel Investing and Seed Capital, Impact Metrics, Analytic Review of Impact Organizations, and CEO/Investment Mentorship.
• Hands on learning opportunities:
Due diligence screening for NW SVFund, meeting with CEOs / Executive Directors to discuss business model, funding, financial structure, and capital raising activities.
Impact Milestones – select & accomplish 6-12 key objectives for professional development in impact investing & philanthrocapitalism, across 6 areas.
• Recommended events, reading assignments, and field trips as available.
Six Weeks of Training / 3 Months of Hands on Learning
We request scheduling availability from the group members prior to confirming the finalized schedule, and plan to meet weekly during the 6-week training timeframe. Flexibility with scheduling is imperative: we will do our best to confirm meeting times convenient to the group but understand that each group member is juggling multiple commitments and travel. We ask that a minimum of 4 content sessions are attended.
$850 tuition for general impact professionals, investors & community members, and $650 for currently registered full-time students at partnering universities, who commit to a 3-month, 12 hour *volunteer assignment, from Portland State University, University of Washington, Pinchot Graduate Institute, University of Oregon, University of Portland and BYU-Idaho.
*Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time to meet and confirm a volunteer assignment if this applies to you.
To sign up for the Impact Investing Education Series, please complete online registration and contact email@example.com with any questions.
For those who are completing registration, the online payment link is below.